Monday, November 06, 2006

Ahhh, Texas.

While I generally enjoy living here, there are times when I really, really don't like living in Texas. For example, earlier today our governor (who is almost certainly going to be re-elected tomorrow, since the opposition to him will be split three ways, or four if you count the libertarian candidate) made me feel extra welcome. From the Dallas Morning News:

Gov. Rick Perry, after a God and country sermon attended by dozens of political candidates Sunday, said that he agreed with the minister that non-Christians will be condemned to hell.

Great. Why did the governor feel the need to talk about this at all? Apparently he feels that he needs to say things like that to get re-elected by my fellow Texas residents. Unsurprisingly, one of his opponents had a bon mot about this that I think says it all:

"He doesn't think very differently from the Taliban, does he?" independent Kinky Friedman said.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll be watching the elections tomorrow, just to see how Texas really feels. As my new state, this election will be a great chance to see who I'm really living with.

I'd love to see a strong showing for a new type of Texas politician, but you're absolutely right about the split opposition - we've seen national elections turn on weaker candidates than Kinky.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think that the comparison between Rick Perry and the Taliban is unfair. Perry has much better hair.