Friday, October 27, 2023

Reading material - orders of magnitude and difficult times

Over the past couple of weeks (and more) I have found a number of things to read that I wanted to pass on.  First, if you'd like a break from the seemingly continual stream of bad news in the world and enjoy good "think like a physicist"/dimensional analysis/order of magnitude estimate/Fermi problem discussions, I suggest:

On a much more sobering note, I was saddened to learn of the grave illness of Prof. Jan Zaanen, who has terminal cancer.  A colleague brought my attention to an essay (link here) that Prof. Zaanen has written in the hopes that it will be widely read, and I pass it along.  

More soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sad to hear the news about Prof. Zaanen. We have never interacted in any way, and indeed my research is only tangentially related to his subject, but I have read more of his papers than necessary simply because they are always such a pleasure, combining originality, personality, and insight.

Peter Armitage said...

It is sad about Jan... I heard that as of a few weeks ago he was still doing physics. I hope he can continue to as long as he wishes. I met him as a student and was struck -- even then -- how unpretentious this colossus was. If I was willing to talk to him, he was was willing to talk to me.... which was struck me even then, 25 years ago, as completely upside down.

NBC said...

I met Jan Zaanen at a couple of conferences and always found him remarkably approachable for someone of his stature in the field. I'm very sad to hear of his illness, and hope that his remaining time will be peaceful.

Anonymous said...

Sad to see so many condensed matter pioneers passing away.

On the forward looking side, I'm really interested to see how new generations of physicists will treat the high Tc cuprates. Now that the old guard are moving on (Anderson, Pines, etc.). Maybe fresh approaches could do the trick in cracking the puzzle? Or possibly the exact opposite where no one wants to work on the topic anymore....