Monday, September 05, 2022

Coming next month....


I'm going to be presenting a continuing education course starting next month, trying to give a general audience introduction to some key ideas about condensed matter and materials physics.   

From the intro flyer:  "The world and the materials that compose it are full of profound phenomena often overlooked by the uninitiated, from quasiparticles to the quantum world. Did you know that there are hundreds of states of matter? Have you ever wondered why objects can’t pass through each other and why stars don’t collapse? What do sports fans doing the wave or a traffic slowdown on the 610 Loop have to do with electrical conduction in metal? Why are raindrops wet and how do snowflakes achieve their delicate sixfold symmetry? Learn how physics affects everything around you, defining the very laws of nature. Spanning physics, chemistry, materials science, electrical engineering and even a bit of biology, this course brings the foundations of everyday physics to life and shares some of the most intriguing research emerging today."

Here is the link for registration for the course.  (The QR code I'd originally posted seems to point to the wrong class.)

(My posting has been less frequent as I continue to work on preparing this class.  Should be fun.)
  

4 comments:

gilroy0 said...

In person or online?

Douglas Natelson said...

Online. There's a course fee of $235, but I did get some support through my NSF for scholarships for science teachers (working with the continuing studies folks on how those are made available).

gilroy0 said...

Let me know if the NSF funding comes through. I'd like to sign up, but my school doesn't have $235 allocated (and neither do I. :)

Anonymous said...

Too costly for students who may not be privileged enough from other countries. Maybe the course will be available for less or even free after some time.