Friday, January 10, 2014

Favor to ask - looking for a video clip.

Now that some big deadlines have passed and I'm worn out before the semester even starts, I'm hoping my readership can help me out.  I'm working on a public talk about presenting science to a general audience, and I would like to include a video clip from a Futurama episode, "Where No Fan Has Gone Before".  Specifically, to talk about the problems with using analogies to explain complicated concepts, I'd love to have video of this bit:

Fry: Usually on the show, they came up with a complicated plan, then explained it with a simple analogy.
Leela: Hmmm... If we can re-route engine power through the primary weapons and configure them to Melllvar's frequency, that should overload his electro-quantum structure.
Bender: Like putting too much air in a balloon!
Fry: Of course! It's all so simple!
It doesn't seem to exist on youtube.  Of course, this would be properly credited to Fox, and would be considered fair use from the standpoint of copyright.  Thanks for any suggestions or help.

UPDATE:  Thanks to one of you, I'm all set!  Thanks!

1 comment:

Anzel said...

Do you have access to Netflix? (Or some other source that could stream the file, such as the episode on DVD).

You can use Camtasia Studio to record video/audio occurring on your monitor, so just set up the program, queue up the video, record, and edit off the extra stuff. Camtasia was the best option I found of the "free" set (you get a 30-day trial), though the video sampling frequency is still a little off.