Saturday, March 21, 2009

March Meeting wrap-up

Well, that's that for another APS meeting. I actually left late in the day Thursday, so I don't have too much more to report. I know that there was going to be a big session about topological effects in the nu=5/2 fractional quantum Hall state on Friday, but I couldn't be there. I did see the end of a cool session about physics and art, where there were invited talks about the fractal (or, in this case, not) nature of Jackson Pollock paintings, the design of minimal-surface structures like the Water Cube in Beijing, and the use of reflection and projection techniques by some artists. My students also told me that I should've gone to the session that included the talk on how to be a science advisor for Hollywood productions. Anyone else see anything exceptionally cool?

4 comments:

Steve said...

I posted my "best of" on my blog

http://complexmatters.blogspot.com/2009/03/aps-march-meeting-2009.html

Perhaps my best of was a talk I listened to by one of the ever present certifiable loonys, which was great comic relief.

Steve said...

Sorry, that got garbled when I tried to edit. It should have said "my favorite" not "my best of"

Tired said...

5/2? Yet again? Postmodern science, welcome to condensed matter physics...!

water01 said...

Greeting! What do you think of wow gold? I always lack of wow gold to buy some great item for my char before the wow patch 3.1 and I need to do wow power leveling for the cheapest wow gold or I have to search cheap wow gold on google search. The world changed since the 3.1 patch released. Short of buy wow gold for me wasn't so high frequency now. And I’m curious why this situation happened? The items became cheap? Or we can farm wow gold much easy? Hope someone can give me an answer.