- The deaths of prominent scientists
- The deaths of many notable figures (too many to link in entirety)
- Disturbing news about the environment, and news about news about the environment
Let me make a push for optimism, or at least try to put some things in perspective. There are some reasons to be hopeful. Specifically, look here, at a site called "Our World in Data", produced at Oxford University. These folks use actual numbers to point out that this is actually, in many ways, the best time in human history to be alive:
- The percentage of the world's population living in extreme poverty is at an all-time low (9.6%).
- The percentage of the population that is literate is at an all-time high (85%), as is the overall global education level.
- Child mortality is at an all-time low.
- The percentage of people enjoying at least some political freedom is at an all-time high.